Student Teacher Training
Our goal in the Student Teacher Training Program is to nurture a student’s desire to teach. We will help students to identify the different aspects involved in being a Dance Educator. The Student Teacher Training program covers two levels: Level One: 10-12 years (Helper) Teacher Training and Level Two: 13yrs + (Assistant) Teacher Training. Students who are interested in learning the art of teaching dance are encouraged to apply.
Objectives: To help the teacher with the running of the class and gain an understanding of what skills are required of a dance teacher.
As a Teacher Helper you will:
- Take students in, out and around the studio,
- Show each exercise with the teacher,
- Be a positive and keen role model,
- Encourage students in class,
- Hand out and pack away props,
- Help students who need extra practice,
- Go with students when they are leaving the room during class time,
- Help students to change shoes,
- Help the teacher with studio tidying,
- Complete all tasks your supervising teacher asks.
Attendance at each class must be a priority to birthday parties and other social activities that may co-incide, with the exception of dance examinations or performances.
Requirements / Expectations
- Good communication skills for interacting with students, teachers and occasionally parents.
- Willing to take initiative with tasks that have been assigned,
- Maintain a positive and friendly manner while present at the school,
- Be a good role model for younger students; by always being punctual and dressed correctly,
- Willingness to take direction and act on constructive feedback from the teacher.
As a Teacher Assistant you will gain a greater understanding of the role a dance educator has by observing class and completing worksheets about what takes place in a dance class and how the teacher instructs the class. This will provide the assistant with the understanding of how to run a class and they will be provided with opportunities to instruct activities and develop their teaching skills.
In addition to the Teacher Helper duties, the Teacher Assistant will:
- Mark the roll; when necessary,
- Lead some warm-ups and exercises,
- Keep students on task and focused,
- Correct students who are not following instructions,
- Observe the teacher in class and complete booklet activities.
Placements in the Student Teacher Training Program are by invitation only and are offered to Students who show a high degree of interest and commitment.